Thursday, July 8, 2010

My station computer makes a terrible noise when I first turn it on ...

Q My station computer makes a terrible noise when I first turn it on. It is a loud screeching and grinding sound. It stops after about 2 or 3 minutes, but I notice that it can reappear on winter days when the temperature in the shack dips below 50°. I suspect the power supply fan, but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

A A defective bearing in the power supply fan is usually the cause of the noise you’ve described. There may also be a tiny fan on your CPU, but it is usually silent.

Not only is the fan noise annoying, it is a harbinger of danger for your computer. Some computer manufacturers cut corners by installing low-cost power supplies. These power supplies are assembled with the cheapest components possible, including poor-quality cooling fans. The Doc’s suggestion is that you replace your power supply as soon as possible. Don’t wait for the fan to fail outright. The supply could overheat and break down catastrophically, sending a voltage surge directly into the motherboard and other components. You can pick up a good-quality 250-W supply for about $50, and they are relatively easy to install.


From QST March 2000