Thursday, July 8, 2010

I live in western Montana and I was told that I could use the “Evergreen Intertie” to talk to hams all over the northwest with just my H-T ...

Q I live in western Montana and I was told that I could use the “Evergreen Intertie” to talk to hams all over the northwest with just my H-T. That sounds great, but what is the Evergreen Intertie?

A The Evergreen Intertie is a linked repeater system that covers much of the Pacific Northwest. The Intertie is composed of about 24 VHF and UHF repeaters. Each repeater is connected to a backbone made up of both radio and non-radio links. One backbone connects northwest Oregon to Seattle, while another connects Seattle to points east. The system configuration changes constantly as repeaters are added or removed. See Figure 1.

In a linked repeater network you can indeed use an H-T to span substantial distances. DTMF (TouchTone) codes are often used to access the system. That’s how you go about linking your signal to distant points. These DTMF codes are usually provided by the clubs that maintain the various parts of the network, so it is a good idea to seek out a participating club and join. You’ll find more information about the Evergreen Intertie on the Web at http:// www.lloydio.com/evergreen.html.



Figure 1—This is the Evergreen Intertie as it appeared a few years ago. Like most linked repeater systems, the routes change constantly so it’s best to get an updated diagram from a local participating club.

From QST March 2000