Friday, July 23, 2010

I travel often on business and I am considering the idea of operating HF QRP from the various hotels where I stay...

Q Mike, AA9RH, asks, “ I travel often on business and I am considering the idea of operating HF QRP from the various hotels where I stay. However, most of my trips take me to large urban or suburban hotels which offer great height (say 20-30 stories), but definitely confine one to indoor operating. Is it possible to enjoy success from inside one of these large, sealed-up hotels?”

A The answer depends on how you define “success.” Doc has been able to make a few QRP contacts from hotel rooms using indoor antennas, but the antennas usually didn’t load well. In addition, they tended to pick up a lot of noise from hotel computers, TVs, hair dryers and so on.

Some hotel windows are not completely sealed; they can be opened slightly. If this is the case, you could discreetly drop a long, thin wire. With a good antenna tuner, and a 1/4-wavelength counterpoise wire on the floor, you may be able to load your “stealth antenna” and make some contacts.


If you are fortunate to have a room with a balcony, you might be able to put up a mobile whip and counterpoise. These are not the most efficient antennas, but they may do the job in a temporary hotel-room application.


From QST July 2000