Saturday, July 31, 2010

I own a Bell SVGA monitor that has been giving me fits. It generates interference that just happens to fall on several of my “favorite” frequencies.

Q I own a Packard Bell SVGA monitor that has been giving me fits. It generates interference that just happens to fall on several of my “favorite” frequencies. I’ve tried every RFI suppression technique known—short of installing the monitor in a copper cage. Do you have any other tips?

A I’d suggest that you try changing your display settings. Going to a higher or lower resolution display may at least shift the interference away from your favorite frequencies. Frankly, you may want to consider shopping for a new monitor. You may discover that other brands offer better shielding. If you can get your hands on a portable shortwave receiver, take it to the computer stores and use it to check the various monitors. Obviously you want to find the monitor that generates the least amount of interference, if any at all, on the frequencies or bands you use most often.

From QST October 2000